Hi Cerbos team. I have the following configuration...
# help
d
Hi Cerbos team. I have the following configuration in Cerbos:
Copy code
apiVersion: api.cerbos.dev/v1
resourcePolicy:
  version: default
  resource: feature
  scope: A
  importDerivedRoles:
    - derived_roles
  rules:
    - actions:
        - feature:**
      effect: EFFECT_ALLOW
      derivedRoles:
        - ADMIN
        - USER
In the default scope I setup all effects to DENY, to switch them on for the child scopes. This scope,
A
currently has access to all features if you are associated with the project. But now we have a single feature that we would like to disable based on condition (something like this)
Copy code
- actions:
        - feature:viewer:toolbar:design
      effect: EFFECT_DENY
      derivedRoles:
        - ADMIN
        - USER
      condition:
        match:
          expr: P.attr.projects.filter(t, t.id == R.attr.projectId).all(t, t.hasDesignSeat == false)
But that generates contradicting rules, and it returns ALLOW for the action
feature:viewer:toolbar:design
I understand where it comes from, but how do I a address this? I see two options, both with the same issue. Either I define all of the actions instead of using wildcards except
for the standard case, which would make the ALLOW list quite large. Or I swap the default scope to ALLOW instead of DENY, which would allow me to just DENY
in this scope (and the rest is allowed in the default scope. But that introduces the issues in the other scopes, where I would need to block all the action not allowed there, which also ends up being quite a lot of action lists. And logically, (in our case at least) it is easier to grasp the access scope when listing allowed actions instead of the blocked. Is there a way to prioritize actions? One suggestion would be to make more specific actions trump loosely defined actions (
a:b:c
>
a:b:*
), within the same scope, if that could be possible.
c
Hey, DENY rules always take precedence when there's a conflict so your rule should work. Are you sure the condition is actually satisfied?
d
You are right, of course 🙂 I was not handling undefined / missing value correct. Now it works as intended.
But, in the opposite case, where I block all but one action, it would still be DENY?
c
Yes, DENY takes precedence
d
Okay, thank you 👍