Hello! I was hoping someone could help me underst...
# help
m
Hello! I was hoping someone could help me understand why I'm getting a
more than one YAML document detected
error when running tests with cerbos?
👍🏼 1
I just added different versions for a resource policy with scopes and now I'm getting this error.
d
a
If you don't actually have multiple YAML documents in a single file, it could also be a bug we found in the parser: https://github.com/cerbos/cerbos/issues/2118. We just released Cerbos 0.36.0 with a fix for that.
m
Thank you @Dennis (Cerbos) and @Aram Andreasyan. I don't understand how to define policies with scopes, if "this isn't supported" so I think I may have a missunderstanding of how this all works. Here is my file structure:
My understanding with
Scopes
is that you need to define a policy with the assigned scope if you wanted different rules for that scope. You'll see here, I have three policies for
taskResource
. The empty scope is
taskResource.yaml
, the
exec
scope is the
taskResource_exec.yaml
file and the
exec.manager
scope is the
taskResource_manager.yaml
file. Something with the
file is causing the error to pop up because it goes away if I comment out the contents of that file.
So, first, am I understand how to setup scopes correctly?
a
Yes, that looks fine. It's probably an issue with YAML syntax in
- due to the bug I linked, unfortunately sometimes the parser reports
when the issue is actually something different
m
AHHHHH. Okay @Andrew Haines (Cerbos). Thank you for that. Let me see if I can recreate the issue and remove the sensitive policy stuff out of the file...
You were right @Aram Andreasyan. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. It has something to do with the complicated condition logic I have in there for that scope. I'll try to modify it and see if I can get past the error.
🙌🏼 1
a
Sometimes it helps to write conditions like this:
Copy code
expr: >
  some complicated expression
The block scalar syntax
>
helps avoid issues with YAML special characters
m
I was writing it like this:
Copy code
expr: >
(
  Condition A &&
  Condition B
)
and I think the indentation was causing issues. I consolidated the same logic to get rid of the weird indentation with the parenthesis and it works now.
👍🏼 1
a
Looks like the fix for the issue above wasn't sufficient to catch this case, so we still get the same
error in the current release. I've raised a new issue: https://github.com/cerbos/cerbos/issues/2146
🙌 1