Hi guys, I've set up a Cerbos cluster on my local...
# help
a
Hi guys, I've set up a Cerbos cluster on my localhost and I'm working on replicating the finance application sample provided in the Cerbos playground: Finance Application Sample I successfully created the resource policy and verified that I can retrieve it using the GET REST call. However, when I provide the same principal to the policy in my localhost environment, I consistently receive a "deny" response for all actions. This behavior differs from the results I get using the playground with the same principal. Upon debugging, I noticed that there are
derived_roles
defined in the
common_roles.yaml
file, which are referenced in the resource policy. It appears that these derived roles are crucial for the policy evaluation. My question is: How can I upload the
common_roles.yaml
to my localhost setup? Is there an API endpoint for uploading common roles? I couldn't find relevant documentation for this. Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
like https://docs.cerbos.dev/cerbos/latest/policies/derived_roles this documentation talks about the derived roles however it does not tell you the api to hit in order to store the derived roles PS: i'm using postgres for the database and after creating the policy i can see the policy row in my policy table!
o
Hi @Akhil Chouhan, There are two ways to put policies into a DB store. 1. Using cerbosctl put command 2. Using Admin API I’d suggest you to 1. Use the
Export
button in the Playground (top left corner) to download all of the policies as a zip file, 2. Extracting the zip file into a directory, 3. Executing the command
cerbosctl put policies -R .
in the extracted policy directory.
a
@oguzhan are derived roles also considered as policies?
o
Yes, policy types for Cerbos are; • derived roles • export variables • principal policies • resource policies
a
@oguzhan thanks for this, so now i have 2 policies in my database resource and derived roles (attached screenshot below) and this is my request
Copy code
{
  "requestId": "123123",
  "principal": {
    "id": "sally",
    "policyVersion": "default",
    "roles": [
      "USER"
    ],
    "attr": {
      "department": "SALES",
      "region": "EMEA"
    }
  },
  "resources": [
    {
      "resource": {
        "kind": "expense:object",
        "id": "expense1",
        "policyVersion": "default",
        "attr": {
          "ownerId": "sally",
          "createdAt": "2021-10-01T10:00:00.021-05:00",
          "vendor": "Flux Water Gear",
          "region": "EMEA",
          "amount": 500,
          "status": "OPEN"
        }
      },
      "actions": [
        "approve",
        "create",
        "delete",
        "update",
        "view",
        "view:approver"
      ]
    }
  ]
}
however i'm still getting EFFECT_DENY on create but i;m getting ALLOWED on the playground
o
In the request the kind is
expense:object
Copy code
"kind": "expense:object",
It should be;
Copy code
"kind": "expense",
a
@oguzhan voila, thank you so much this worked I want to understand what is expense:object and what is kind? and how do i figure out what will the kind be after i create the policy because the code
Copy code
cerbosBlockingAdminClient.addOrUpdatePolicy()
                        .with(new InputStreamReader(new ByteArrayInputStream(baos.toByteArray()))).addOrUpdate();
does not return the created policy, since it returns void before putting in derived roles i was using "kind": "expense", but it was throwing me an error "invalid policy version" then i saw this statement, which encouraged me to change this to expense:object
o
I think in the example policy the kind used to be
, and then changed to
expense
. But I guess the comment was mistakenly left as
. So disregard the comment line there, it is a mistake. When you create a resource with kind
expense
, you need to state
expense
as the kind in the request too. So that Cerbos knows what resource policy you are referring to while resolving the request.
a
ahh thanks!